How to retrieve your Linksys router’s admin password
The admin password is used to access the web-based setup page of your Linksys router for configuration and settings update or verification. It also prevents unauthorized access and changes to your router.
The default password for Linksys routers is admin. However, changing it is recommended for optimum security. Some of the common applications that require the admin password are listed below:
- Association to the Linksys cloud account
- Local access to Linksys Smart Wi-Fi or the classic web-based interface
- Remote Management
What should I do if I have forgotten it?
If you lost or forgot the admin password, you may try doing any of the following to retrieve it:
1. Check the admin password using the Linksys cloud account or Linksys Connect
- To know how you can check and update the router password using the Linksys cloud account, click here.
- If you're using Linksys Connect and you configured your router with the older Linksys Connect 1.4 firmware, your router’s password will be the same as your wireless password (case-sensitive). If you still have Linksys Connect 1.4 installed, you may be able to launch it and go to Router Settings > Advance Settings. This will provide the router’s password. To learn more about Linksys Connect, click here.
2. Check for a Linksys notepad file
This is only applicable if you are still using Linksys Connect. Check on your Desktop for a notepad file that Linksys Connect 1.4 created, this should also contain your router and wireless password.
3. Reset the router
If the two (2) options above did not help you recover the admin password, you will need to reset your router. Resetting the router to factory defaults will delete the customized settings you already set on the device. To learn more about resetting the router with the classic web-based setup page, click here. For instructions on how to reset the router to factory settings using the Linksys cloud account, click here instead.
NOTE: If you have successfully retrieved your admin password, make sure to write it down and store it securely for future use.
Checking or changing the basic wireless settings of the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router using the local access interface
Changing the router's wireless network name and password using Linksys Connect
The different types of passwords on your Linksys router
The different types of Linksys Passwords (VIDEO)