- How to configure Wireless MAC Filter using a Linksys router with a Linksys Range Extender
The steps below will guide you on how to configure Wireless MAC Filter with your Linksys router to permit or prevent the wireless devices connected to your Linksys Range Extender. This can be a useful workaround if you have trouble connecting your wireless devices to the Linksys Range Extender with the MAC Filter enabled on your Linksys router.
- Obtain the Extender MAC address of the Linksys Range Extender
- Set up Wireless MAC Filter on the Linksys router
Obtain the Extender MAC address of the Linksys Range Extender
On your Linksys Range Extender’s web-based setup page, click Status > WLAN Statistics and look for the Extender MAC address section. This is the address that must be added to the Linksys router for the Range Extender to connect to the network. For the detailed instructions, click here.
Set up Wireless MAC Filter on the Linksys router
Once you have obtained the Extender MAC address, you can now set up the Wireless MAC Filter on your Linksys router.
Access your Linksys router’s web-based setup page. For instructions, click here. If you are using a Mac® computer, click here.
NOTE: The IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1 by default. If you have changed it, enter the new IP address instead.
On the left navigation pane, click Wireless under Router Settings.
Click the MAC Filtering tab.
Check the Enabled box. When the Enabling MAC filtering will disable WPS. Do you want to continue? prompt appears, click Yes to proceed.
Select among the two (2) Filter options.
NOTE: In this example, the Deny access for the listed MAC addresses option is selected.
- Deny access for the listed MAC addresses – Select this option if you want to create a list of MAC addresses that cannot access your network. Any device whose MAC address is listed will not be permitted to connect to your network.
- Allow access for ONLY the listed MAC addresses – Select this option if you want to limit access to your wireless network for certain devices. Only the devices whose MAC addresses are listed will be allowed to connect to your network. All other devices will be denied.
Click Add MAC Address on the MAC Filter List section.
Enter the Extender MAC address, then click Save.
Click Apply > Ok to save the changes.
You have now successfully configured the Wireless MAC Filter on your Linksys router with your Linksys Range Extender.
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
LINKSYS LIVE CHAT
Help With Linksys.com
I have a question about a Linksys product or a Linksys Store promotion.
Get help with an issue or learn how to maximise the potential of my Linksys product.