- Keeping your Linksys devices’ firmware or driver updated
A firmware is a program or set of instructions encoded in a device while a driver is a type of software that lets a device work with higher computer programs such as an operating system (OS).
It is recommended to regularly update your Linksys devices' firmware and/or driver for the following reasons:
- There is an updated version of the firmware or driver which contains fixes for software bugs found in the previous version.
- The device is currently experiencing problems in its operational functions (e.g., dropping connectivity, odd blinking lights, and undetected device errors).
- There is an updated version containing new or additional functionalities that are not available in the previous version. (Read the Release Notes to view the updates or changes.)
How often should you check for firmware or driver updates?
You can check for firmware and driver updates of your Linksys device when you are experiencing problems in its operational function.
The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers and Velop systems also have an Auto-Update feature which will automatically upgrade the firmware. To check if this option is enabled or how it works on your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers, click here. By default, the Automatic Firmware Update feature is enabled on your Velop system.
Click on the links below for specific instructions on how to update the firmware or driver of your device.
|Dual-Band WiFi Router||Firmware|
|Smart Wi-Fi Router||Firmware|
|Modems and Gateways||Firmware|
Linksys offers a range of devices. Click on the links below for specific product downloads:
NOTE: If your product model is not on this list, go to the Linksys Support Site to check for the availability of your product's downloads. If you need help in downloading the firmware or driver of your devices, click here.
If you encounter any problem doing the upgrade, try any of the following troubleshooting tips:
- Do NOT power cycle the router during the firmware upgrade.
- Use a different web browser if the current browser you’re using doesn’t work.
- If upgrading the firmware via Wi-Fi is not successful, hardwire your computer to the router and try again.
- Use a different computer to perform the upgrade.
- Temporarily disable any computer firewall to ensure that the upgrade will not be disrupted.
- Make sure that you have downloaded the correct firmware version for your device to prevent technical problems that may damage the router. The hardware version can be found on the device's label.
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
LINKSYS LIVE CHAT
Help With Linksys.com
I have a question about a Linksys product or a Linksys Store promotion.
Get help with an issue or learn how to maximise the potential of my Linksys product.