- SimpleTap™ connection feature Frequently Asked Questions
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. What is SimpleTap™?
2. What is Near Field Communication (NFC)?
3. What are the requirements to connect a mobile device using the SimpleTap™ feature?
4. How do you connect an Android™ smartphone using SimpleTap™?
5. What is a QR code?
6. How do I download the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App using the QR code?
7. Which wireless network and frequency will the smartphone connect to when using SimpleTap™?
8. How do you connect to the wireless network using this feature if the SimpleTap™ card is lost?
9. Can a SimpleTap™ card be used to connect to another router other than the one it came with?
10. What is the wireless security mode used when connecting the SimpleTap™ connection feature?
11. What smartphones are currently supported by the SimpleTap™ feature?
SimpleTap™ is one of the new wireless connection features found in the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account that is bundled with the latest Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6300, EA6400, EA6500 and EA6700). It is based on Near Field Communication (NFC) technology which allows for easier connection of NFC-compatible smartphones to the router’s wireless network. It is a replacement to how you manually associate a wireless device to the wireless network. Just tap the SimpleTap™ card to your smartphone to connect to the 2.4 GHz wireless network instead of using a wireless password.
NOTE: To enable or disable this feature on your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers, click here.
Near Field Communication (NFC) is a set of standards for mobile devices such as smartphones to establish communication with compatible devices by bringing them close to each other. This is done in seconds by touching them or just by bringing them barely a few centimeters, hence the term “near field”.
NFC offers a fast and simple setup that could be used to connect devices to a more capable wireless connection (e.g. active wireless network). It serves as a bridge to connect your NFC-compatible devices without using a password.
These are the requirements to connect a mobile device using SimpleTap™:
- An Android™ smartphone which is NFC-compatible
- A SimpleTap™ card bundled with the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6300, EA6400, EA6500 and EA6700)
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App installed on your Android™ smartphone
Click here for detailed instructions on how to connect an NFC-compatible Android™ smartphone to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6300, EA6400, EA6500 and EA6700) using the SimpleTap™ card.
A QR code is a type of barcode which contains information such as website links, contact details, promotional codes or any text-based information.
You may download the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App on your smartphone by scanning the QR code on the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router, EA6500 packaging with a QR code scanner. For detailed instructions on how to do this, click here.
NOTE: Alternatively, you may download and install the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App on your mobile device through the Google Play Store. For instructions, click here.
The smartphone will be connected to the 2.4 GHz wireless network only since the SimpleTap™ feature acts as a backdoor to connect to the 2.4 GHz band. The SimpleTap™ virtual access point is a hidden SSID that can be enabled or disabled on your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account. Since this is a hidden SSID, it will not be visible in the list of wireless networks available in the area.
NOTE: You will not be able to connect to this hidden wireless network without the SimpleTap™ card.
You can still connect your mobile device by selecting a Wi-Fi network and entering the wireless network password. You may refer to the following articles:
NOTE: If the SimpleTap™ card is lost, you may request for a replacement by calling Linksys customer support.
No. A SimpleTap™ card can only be used to connect exclusively to the router it came with.
The default wireless security mode for the SimpleTap™ connection feature is WPA2/AES.
The SimpleTap™ feature supports Android™ smartphones that are Near Field Communication (NFC) compatible. For a list of NFC-compatible Android™ smartphones, visit this link: http://www.nfcworld.com/nfc-phones-list.
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
LINKSYS LIVE CHAT
Help With Linksys.com
I have a question about a Linksys product or a Linksys Store promotion.
Get help with an issue or learn how to maximise the potential of my Linksys product.