- Definitions of DLNA
What is DLNA?
Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is an international, cross-industry collaboration of Consumer Electronics (CE), computing industry and mobile device companies. DLNA develop a concept of wired and wireless interoperable networks where digital content such as photo, music, and videos can be shared through consumer electronics, personal computers and mobile devices in and beyond the home.
In order to build in interoperability among the digital worlds and win customer confidence, DLNA address the research where products designed for the home should be easy to install, provide noticeable user value, be affordable, must interoperate with each other without requiring the consumer to undergo complex setup and configuration for connection between devices.
DLNA divided to 3 categories:
1. Home Network Devices
a. Digital Media Server (DMS)
- devices provide media acquisition, recording, storage, and sourcing capabilities, as well as content protection enforcement as required.
b. Digital Media Player (DMP)
- find content exposed by a DMS or M-DMS and then pulls the selected content from the server to provide playback and rendering capabilities. DMP devices included televisions, stereo and home theaters.
c. Digital Media Renderer (DMR)
- devices play content received from a DMS or M-DMS after being setup by another Home Network Device (DMC or devices which include a DMC). DMR devices included audio/video receivers and video displays.
d. Digital Media Controller (DMC)
- find content exposed by a DMS and match it to the rendering capabilities of a DMR, setting up the connections between the DMS and DMR. An intelligent remote control is one example of a DMC device; a multifunction device such as a mobile multimedia phone may also include a DMC.
e. Digital Media Printer (DMPr)
- provide printing services to the DLNA home network. Photo printing is the application DLNA prioritized, but other types of content can also be printed from a DMPr. When selected for media output, a DMPr combines images with an Extensible Hypertext Markup Language (XHTML) template to create the printed page. DLNA provides several basic photo templates to assist new manufacturers in quickly adding photo printing to their DLNA devices.
2. Mobile Handheld Devices
a. Mobile Digital Media Server (M-DMS)
b. Mobile Digital Media Player (M-DMP)
c. Mobile Digital Media Downloader (M-DMD)
d. Mobile Digital Media Uploader (M-DMU)
e. Mobile Digital Media Controller (M-DMC)
3. Home Interoperability Devices
a. Mobile Interoperability Unit (MIU)
b. Mobile Network Connectivity Function (M-NCF)
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
LINKSYS LIVE CHAT
Help With Linksys.com
I have a question about a Linksys product or a Linksys Store promotion.
Get help with an issue or learn how to maximise the potential of my Linksys product.