This range extender can be set up through:
- Accessing the web-based setup page
- Using the Linksys Connect Software if you have it installed on your computer
- Using the setup software
- Using the Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS) on the Linksys RE4000W if your router also supports it
- Power - The power light is located on the front panel. It lights up when the range extender is powered ON. The light flashes slowly every three (3) seconds when the device is reset to factory defaults or during a firmware upgrade. When the range extender is ready for use, the light is continuously lit. If there is an error, the light flashes quickly (every second).
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS) - When the WPS process is active, the light flashes slowly. When the WPS is successful, the light is continuously lit. If there is an error, the light flashes quickly (every second) for two (2) minutes.
Power port - This is where you connect the power adapter.
WPS button - If you have client devices that support WPS such as wireless printers, this button automatically configures wireless connection and security after initial setup.
Reset button - Press and hold the Reset button for five (5) seconds to reset the range extender to its factory defaults. You can also reset the device from the Administration > Factory Defaults screen in the range extender’s web-based setup page.
Power switch – powers the extender ON or OFF.
NOTE: This functionality is ONLY available in the European versions of the Linksys RE4000W.
Ethernet ports - You can use either one of the Fast Ethernet (10 / 100 Mbps) ports to work as a wireless bridge to instantly connect any wired Ethernet device to a wireless network. The green LED is lit when an Ethernet device is connected and active on this port. The extra Ethernet port can also be used to connect another wired client.
- Simultaneous dual-band that extends both bands at the same time
- Has cross-band technology that maximizes the simultaneous use of both bands for faster data transfer speeds
- Supports WPS for wireless client devices
- Can be set up using Linksys Connect Setup Software or through the web-based setup page for manual configuration
- Security features include Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2™) security, which encrypts data on your wireless network
The Linksys RE4000W Setup Software is compatible with the following operating systems (OS):
- Windows® XP SP3
- Windows Vista® SP1
- Windows® 7
- Windows® 8
- OS X® Leopard 10.5.8 or higher
- OS X® Snow Leopard 10.6.1 or higher
- OS X® Lion 10.7 all versions
- OS X® Mountain Lion 10.8 all versions
- OS X® Mavericks 10.9
Linksys RE4000W N600 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender Frequently Asked Questions
RE4000W Product Features and Specifications
Setting up the RE2000, RE2000 v2 and RE4000W using the Setup Wizard
User Guides for Linksys Range Extenders