- Setting up Port Forwarding on a Linksys Router
Port forwarding is a method that allows you to run a server behind the router. Port Forwarding opens a specific port to a computer behind the router, allowing all Incoming Traffic on that port to be sent directly to that server. It should be used to setup servers behind the router, typically Port Triggering is a better choice for non server applications (Such as instant messengers and game servers).
Below is an example of how to setup Port Forwarding. For our example we will be setting an FTP Server and a Mail Server that uses SMTP and POP3.
FTP uses ports: 20 and 21
SMTP uses port: 25
POP3 uses port: 110
1. You must set a static IP address on the server. If you're unsure of how to do this please go to Answer ID 534 for information on setting a static IP address in Windows.
2. Once the static IP address has been assigned please go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP)
3. Once "Internet Explorer" opens, please type "192.168.1.1" into the Address Bar and click GO
4. The "Enter Network Password" window will appear. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK.
5. This will bring up the routers "Setup" section. Look under "Domain Name" and check what version of the firmware you're using.
6. You will need to click on the Advanced tab to the very right. Once the "Advanced" tab comes up please go to the Forwarding tab.
Firmware prior to 1.32
This will not work with firmware prior to 1.32
Firmware between 1.32 and 1.36
|Service Port Range||IP Address|
|20 ~ 21||192.168.1.3|
|25 ~ 25||192.168.1.3|
|110 ~ 110||192.168.1.3|
Firmware after 1.36 up to 1.40m
|Service Port Range||Protocol||IP Address|
|20 ~ 21||Both||192.168.1.3|
|25 ~ 25||Both||192.168.1.3|
|110 ~ 110||Both||192.168.1.3|
Firmware after 1.40m
|Customized Application||Service Port Range||Protocol||IP Address|
|FTP||20 ~ 21||Both||192.168.1.3|
|SMTP||25 ~ 25||Both||192.168.1.3|
|POP3||110 ~ 110||TCP||192.168.1.3|
Click Apply, then Continue.
Restart your computer
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
LINKSYS LIVE CHAT
Help With Linksys.com
I have a question about a Linksys product or a Linksys Store promotion.
Get help with an issue or learn how to maximise the potential of my Linksys product.