Scenarios where setting up through the web browser is useful:
- The Linksys app is stuck on connecting to the node
- The Linksys app is stuck on finding the modem
- The Linksys app is stuck on looking for the node
- You cannot change the WiFi name (SSID) or password in the Linksys app
- You encountered an error when changing the WiFi name in the Linksys app
Before you begin:
- You will need a laptop or desktop computer.
- Close the Linksys app if it is open.
- Reset the router to clear any settings that may interfere with the setup. Hold the reset button for 6 to 10 seconds until you see one solid red flash, followed by three quick red pulses.
- Power cycle the modem (some Dynamic WAN connections may require it).
- Connect the modem to the router using an ethernet cable and leave the router powered ON.
Power ON the router and wait until the light is solid purple.
Connect your computer to the default WiFi name and enter the default WiFi password when prompted. Look underneath the router for the WiFi name and password.
Open a web browser and enter "192.168.1.1" in the Address bar then press [Enter].
NOTE: Depending on which browser you are using, you may come across an error such as the one shown below. This error occurs when accessing a router that requires using an HTTPS connection. To bypass this window, follow these steps:
- Google Chrome™: click on Advanced > Proceed to 192.168.1.1 (unsafe)
- Firefox®: click on Advanced > Accept the Risk and Continue
- Microsoft Edge®: click on Advanced > Continue to 192.168.1.1 (unsafe)
- Safari®: click on Show Details > visit this website > Visit Website
For step-by-step instructions on how to bypass this page, click here.
On the following screen, click on the mobile image.
Enter “admin” as the default administrative router password and then click Sign In.
NOTE: Some router models may require you to change the default password when you log in. To learn more, click here.
You will be taken to the dashboard.
Click on the CA link at the bottom of the dashboard.
Click Connectivity, then click on CA Router Setup.
Create a WiFi name (SSID) and WiFi password, and click on Setup Node. The WiFi password is case-sensitive. Click Ok or Apply when done.
NOTE: While the settings are saving, you will lose WiFi connectivity temporarily.
The light on your router will start to flash and then turn solid blue.
Check if your new WiFi name is broadcasting and connect to it.
Once connected to the new WiFi name, you will now see Your Master Node is now Configured message.
The router is now online and ready to use and you can go to the next step. If the light is not solid blue and you are not online, you can try the following:
- Power cycle your modem. The router’s light should turn solid blue after a few minutes.
- If you use a PPPoE connection, you will need to enter your internet settings manually. Go to the Internet Settings tab, click Edit, and choose PPPoE. Enter your PPPoE information then click Save. Wait for the light on the node to turn solid blue.
Also, on the dashboard, the Network Status widget will display your connection status.
Do you have additional nodes to add?
a. Yes - Power ON your child node, wait until the light is solid purple, then click on Add Wireless Child Nodes and wait for the child node’s light to turn solid blue.
NOTE: For wired nodes, connect your nodes to the parent node with an ethernet cable, wait until the light is solid purple, then click on Add Wired Child Nodes. When the child nodes have a solid blue light, click Ok.
b. No - If you do not have any other child nodes to add, go to the next step.
Change the admin password if you haven’t done so. It is highly recommended to change the default admin password. This can be useful if the Linksys cloud is down and you need to log in to the router locally.
Click on the Basic tab, click Edit, enter your new admin password, and click Ok.
Your network is now set up. You can now connect all your wireless devices to your WiFi.
Manage your network using the Linksys app
If you want to use the Linksys app to manage your settings from any mobile device, you must link your network to your Linksys cloud account.
Download the Linksys app and make sure to connect your mobile device to the WiFi name you just created. To install the Linksys app for an Android™ device, click here. For iOS, click here.
On your device, launch the Linksys app and click Manage Your Wi-Fi.
Either enter your existing Linksys cloud account and tap Log in or tap on Create an account.
Tap Add to Account.
Enter the admin password you created earlier and tap on Add to Account.
The router is now added to your Linksys cloud account.