- Getting to know the Linksys RE1000
The Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Extender lets you repeat the wireless signal of any access point or router to provide Internet connectivity in hard to reach areas through a wired or wireless connection.
This Wireless-N range extender can be set up through:
- Accessing its web-based setup page
- Using Linksys Connect software if you have it installed in your computer
- Using the setup software in the CD that comes with it
- Using the Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS) on the RE1000 if your router also supports it
Below are the basic parts and features of the RE1000.
Power - The Power LED lights up white when the extender is powered ON. The light flashes slowly every three (3) seconds when the device is reset to factory defaults or during a firmware upgrade. When the extender is ready for use, the light is continuously lit. If there is an error, the light flashes quickly (every second).
Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ LED - Take note of the following activities for the WPS LED:
- When the Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ process is active, the light flashes slowly.
- When the Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ is successful, the light is continuously lit.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS) button - if you have client devices that support Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ such as wireless printers, this button automatically configures wireless connection and security after initial setup.
Power switch - powers the extender ON or OFF.
NOTE: This functionality is only available in the European versions of the RE1000.
Reset button - Press the Reset button for eight (8) seconds to reset the extender to its factory defaults. You can also reset the device from the Administration > Factory Defaults screen in the extender’s web-based setup page.
Power port - This is where you connect the power adapter.
Ethernet port - the Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) port works as a wireless bridge to instantly connect any wired Ethernet device to a wireless network. The green LED is lit when an Ethernet device is connected and active on this port.
- Supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ for wireless client devices.
- Can be set up using Linksys Connect software or through the web-based utility for manual configuration.
- Security features include Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) security, which encrypts data on your wireless network.
The RE1000 only supports Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) with hexadecimal format security key. If your gateway is setup with a WEP ASC II format, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.
- RE1000 Linksys Connect Setup Software is compatible with the following operating systems (OS):
o Windows XP SP3
o Windows Vista SP1
o Windows 7
o Windows 8
Mac OS X®
o Leopard 10.5.8 or higher
o Snow Leopard 10.6.1 or higher
o Lion 10.7 all versions
o Mountain Lion 10.8 all versions
QUICK TIP: For more details about this product, visit the Linksys Support Site to browse for more troubleshooting articles, downloadable user guides or firmware updates and other support information.
For a video overview on how to set up the Linksys RE1000, click here.
RE1000 Frequently Asked Questions
Setting up your RE1000 or RE3000W range extender using the setup CD
Setting up the range extender through a wired connection
Manually configuring a wireless range extender
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
Chat with a customer support agent directly from your desktop.