- Setting up the RE2000, RE2000 v2 and RE4000W using the Setup Wizard
The Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Range Extenders (RE2000, RE2000 v2 and RE4000W) can be set up either through manual configuration or using the Setup Wizard. This article will guide you on how to set up your range extender using the Setup Wizard.
Before you start the setup process, make sure that you have the following:
- The RE2000 can detect and work on either a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network.
- The RE2000 v2 and RE4000W can detect and work on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks simultaneously.
- If you have a dual-band router, make sure that the network name of your 2.4 GHz network is different from that of the 5 GHz network.
- For better connection and performance, it is recommended to use the following security types: Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)2/WPA Mixed Mode, WPA2 Personal and WPA Personal.
Insert the Setup CD into your optical (CD/DVD ROM) drive. When the AutoPlay window appears, click the Set up your Linksys Range Extender option.
NOTE: If you have downloaded the Setup Wizard or do not see the AutoPlay window, go to your computer’s Downloads folder or to the specific directory where you selected to save your downloads and double-click the icon to proceed.
When the End-User License Agreement window appears, check the I have read and accept the License Terms for using this software box, and then click Next to continue.
Wait while the software is preparing to set up the wireless connection with your router and range extender.
Once your wireless connection has been detected, plug your range extender into an electrical outlet and then click Next.
The software will search for your range extender and will attempt to connect to your wireless network.
QUICK TIP: To make sure that your range extender is easily detected, ensure that it is within close range to the router at this point of installation.
Once the software connects to your range extender, it will search for available wireless networks.
Select the wireless network name (SSID) of your router and then, click Next.
QUICK TIP: If your wireless network is hidden, click My network is hidden then manually enter your wireless network settings. Click OK then proceed to Step 7.
Enter the wireless network’s password if there is any then click OK.
NOTE: WPA keys are case sensitive (abc is different from ABC). WEP keys are hexadecimal (0-9 and a-f) characters and are not case sensitive.
The screen will display that your range extender is being set up.
You will be given an opportunity to transfer your range extender to your desired location. Follow the on-screen instructions and then, click Next.
The software will check your range extender’s connection to the wireless network.
A window should appear to inform you that your range extender has been set up successfully. Click Close to end the setup process.
NOTE: When you check your wireless network connection, you will no longer see the range extender's name. Instead, it will show that you are connected to your router.
If you encounter difficulties using the Setup CD, try doing the following:
- Reset the range extender. Press and hold the Reset button located at the top panel of the range extender for eight (8) seconds to restore its factory default settings. Then, run the Setup CD again.
- If you still get issues, download then reinstall the range extender using its latest setup software.
- If the setup still did not work, set up the range extender manually by clicking here.
Getting to know the Linksys RE2000
Getting to know the Linksys RE2000 v2
Getting to know the Linksys RE4000W
Configuring the Linksys range extender with a gateway using Site Survey
Setting up the range extender through a wired connection
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
LINKSYS LIVE CHAT
Help With Linksys.com
I have a question about a Linksys product or a Linksys Store promotion.
Get help with an issue or learn how to maximise the potential of my Linksys product.