The following are things you can do to help make your network secure:
1. Update your router’s firmware
- Firmware updates are bug fixes and functionality enhancements for the router. Keeping the firmware of your Linksys device updated fixes issues you may encounter while using it. An updated firmware downloaded from the Linksys Support site may also contain device feature enhancements that are not available in the previous versions. Click on the article and video links below to know more about how you can update the router’s firmware:
How to automatically update the firmware of the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers
Updating the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router Firmware (VIDEO)
Automatically updating the firmware of the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (VIDEO)
- The router password is used to access the router's web-based setup page. All Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers use admin as its default login. Changing it increases your access security to a higher level. To know how you can check and update your router password, click here. Write your password down as soon as it is updated.
- Making your Wi-Fi name unique is as important as password-protecting it. A unique name helps for easy identification whereas making it secure prevents others from connecting to it or taking advantage of it. To learn how to change your Wi-Fi Settings, click here.
- Change your passwords often.
- Use a combination of letters, symbols and numbers when creating passwords.
- Be aware of the names you give to your Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi-enabled devices. These names may be detectable outside your home, that is why using personal information as a Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi-enabled device name is NOT recommended.
- As you change the Wi-Fi name and password, your Wi-Fi devices will disconnect momentarily. You will need to reconnect them using the new settings. Click here to learn how.
- Read about how you can protect your privacy through your browsers (i.e., Firefox®, Chrome™, Internet Explorer® and etc.). Taking the time to fine-tune your browsers to make them more secure is a time well spent.