Note that options may vary when compared with the Linksys MBE7000 Wi-Fi Settings.
Accessing Wi-Fi Settings
2. Under the Router Settings menu, click on Wi-Fi Settings.
This feature lets you gain access and control over the following tabs. The options may vary depending on the model of your router.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup™
The Wireless tab contains the settings that you can specify or modify to protect your WiFi. On this page, you can review and if needed, be able to customize or separate your router’s radio bands. It is highly recommended to use the default settings.
The options may vary depending on your router model and the version of your firmware.
On some routers, you may have to click on Show more to view all radio band settings.
Also, you can set or change the following basic settings on each network:
- Wi-Fi name - This is the name that appears on the list of available WiFi on your computers or devices.
- Wi-Fi password - This prevents intruders and other unwanted users from accessing your WiFi. The password is also case-sensitive.
- Security mode - This is the WiFi security type. This also determines the kind of encryption that your network will be using. The available options are on the drop-down list and may vary depending on the model of your router.
- Wi-Fi mode - This is the network standard that your router supports. The recommended method is to leave it on Mixed.
- Channel width - The preferred setting is Auto.
- Channel - The recommended setting is Auto.
- Broadcast SSID - The default setting is Yes. Choosing the No option will prevent other users from detecting your SSID.
- Radio band - Allows you to enable or disable a specific radio on your router.
For advanced users to access all full settings, you must click on the CA link at the bottom of the browser.
The MAC Filtering tab lets you filter users through the MAC addresses of their computers or devices.
You can either deny or allow specific MAC addresses to access your WiFi. You can use this option to protect your network if you do not want to type in a security password to connect to your WiFi. However, if you prefer, you can also have both the WiFi security password and the MAC Filtering features enabled at the same time.
If you enable this option, the WPS option of your router will be disabled.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup™
The WPS feature makes it easy to add devices to your network without having to enter a WiFi name and a password. To use this feature, the device you want to connect must support this functionality. Refer to your device’s documentation and if it is specified to support WPS, then you can proceed with this setup.
With the latest firmware of Linksys WHW03, WPS is turned OFF by default and there is no external WPS button.
The Advanced tab lets you configure the advanced settings for your Linksys router.
Options may vary depending on the model number of your router. Some models have an IPTV Configuration option which is only supported for PCCW ISP with an IPTV subscription.
- Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) - If enabled, your router will use 5 GHz channels that are shared with radar. When a radar is using a channel, the router must switch and might lose WiFi connectivity. Another limitation of DFS is that older devices cannot use it and will be limited to the router’s 2.4 GHz band when it is on a DFS channel.
- Client Steering - Directs your WiFi devices to the node with the strongest signal.
- Node Steering - Allows your nodes to always connect to the node with the strongest signal. If you move a node or one goes offline, any connected nodes will self-heal by connecting to the strongest signal available. Client Steering and Node Steering features are enabled by default. Learn more about these features.
- IPTV Configuration - Supported on certain Linksys models. This feature lets you enable the IPTV feature if you have a PCCW IPTV subscription. Once you enable this feature, the default IP address of the router will change to 192.168.10.1.
Find out more:
Changing the Wi-Fi settings using the Linksys cloud account
Changing the Wi-Fi Settings of your Tri-Band router using the Linksys cloud account