This article is for Linksys WHW03, MX, or MR series routers.
Before you begin:
- Download or update the latest Linksys app.
- Write down the default WiFi name and password located at the bottom of the parent node. The WiFi password is case-sensitive.
- Parent node: The parent node is the Linksys Velop node/router that will be connected to your modem or internet source.
- Child node: The child node is an additional Linksys Velop node/router that you can add to extend your WiFi network.
- Note that attempting to set up a Linksys Velop Cognitive Mesh WiFi system as a child node will NOT work with Linksys Velop Intelligent Mesh products as these are not compatible. Here is a list of child nodes that you can add to your network.
- Learn about the light behavior of your Linksys Mesh WiFi system.
- Gather all your Linksys Velop Intelligent Mesh routers/nodes
- Power adapters for each router/node
- One ethernet cable
- Remove your existing WiFi router and/or all your devices for the existing WiFi Mesh system.
- Powercycle your modem.
- Wait until your modem has rebooted and go to the next step.
- Go to the next step.
- Go to the next step.
3. Connect and power ON your parent node - If you have more than one Linksys router/node, choose one of the routers/nodes then connect your modem or internet source to the Internet port on the Linksys node/router and power it ON.
If you have the Linksys WHW03 series model, use any of the two ports. After the node is set up, the port that you used will become your dedicated internet port.
4. Power ON your child nodes - Power ON all your child nodes and position them no more than 10 ft from the parent node or, if possible, in the same room as the parent node. Make sure that no other cables are connected to any of the ports on the child nodes during this process.
5. Connect your mobile device to the default WiFi name of the parent node (router/node connected to your modem). The default WiFi credentials are located on the product label.
6. Launch the Linksys app and tap on Set up a New Wi-Fi Network on an iOS device or Launch setup on an Android™ device.
7. Connect the router to your modem - If you have already connected your parent node to your modem and powered it ON, tap Next.
If you haven’t done so, follow the wiring instructions and tap It's connected when you are ready.
8. Power ON all your child nodes - If you have already powered ON your child nodes, tap Next. If you haven’t done so, follow the wiring instructions and tap Next when you are ready. If you don’t have any child nodes to add, just tap Next.
9. Make sure all your nodes have a solid purple light, then tap on Node light is solid.
Keep your phone near the nodes while your nodes are being set up.
10. Internet checking will begin.
If an internet connection is not detected, you will come across the following screen, tap Next for instructions on restarting your modem, or if your internet connection requires your PPPoE settings or static IP address, tap on Do you have ISP settings to enter? and you can then select your internet type and enter your settings.
11. Name your WiFi - Customize your WiFi name and WiFi password. The WiFi password is case-sensitive. Once done, tap Next.
12. Privacy Pledge - Tap on Continue when ready.
13. Log into your Linksys cloud account - Log into your existing Linksys cloud account to link your network to your account. You will be able to manage and monitor your network from any mobile device remotely.
If you haven’t created one, tap on Create account.
14. Configuration of your network is in progress - Your network and/or child nodes are being configured, please wait.
If no child nodes need to be added, you'll briefly see the "Adding your child nodes" screen, but you'll swiftly transition to the "Your Network" screen within a few seconds instead of waiting for 4 to 6 minutes.
15. Connect your mobile device to your new WiFi name, then return to the Linksys app and tap on Next to resume setup.
16. Once your network has been configured, the following screen will display the number of nodes that were successfully detected and configured on your network. Tap Next.
You can rename your nodes after they have been set up.
Missing a node?
If you have nodes to add but forgot to power them ON at the beginning of setup or if some of your child nodes were not detected, tap on Add more nodes to try again. Make sure to move them near the parent node, preferably in the same room as the parent node or no more than 10 ft from the parent node.
You can also complete the setup and add them later.
17. Tap Next.
18. You can now unplug and relocate your child nodes in your home. Tap Finish to complete the process.
19. Your WiFi is ready - Tap on Go to dashboard.
Relocate your child nodes and power them back ON. The child nodes are ready and connected once they have a solid blue light. You can now connect your wireless devices to your WiFi.
Find out more:
Setting up the Linksys Velop Cognitive Mesh WiFi system using temporary WiFi with the Linksys app