Valet and Valet Plus routers are designed to be set up with the Linksys Connect Software that comes with the device. In some cases, the router is set up manually without using the Linksys Connect Software. This article will guide you in installing the Valet or Valet Plus hotspot manually.
NOTE: This article assumes that your computer is connected to the modem and is online. It is best to use a wired computer when setting up the router manually.
Valet is currently available in the U.S. and Canada only. The Linksys E2100L router is only available in the U.S.
Disconnect your computer from the modem and connect your computer to one of the blue Ethernet ports at the back of the router.
NOTE: One end of the Ethernet cable should now be connected to the back of the router while the other end remains connected to the back of the computer.
Connect one end of the blue cable (supplied) to the Internet port of the router and connect the other end to the modem.
Plug one end of the power cable into the Power slot of the router and the other end to the electrical outlet.
Check the lights on the front panel of the router.
• 1, 2, 3, 4 (Blue) These numbered LEDs, correspond to the numbered ports of the Hotspot’s back panel. The LED lights up when a device is connected to one of the ports of the router. These lights constantly blink indicating activity on each specific port.
• Wi-Fi Protected Setup LED (Blue/Amber) It lights up blue when wireless security is enabled. The LED flashes blue for two minutes during Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
• Wireless (Blue) The Wireless LED lights up when the wireless feature is enabled. If the LED is flashing, the Hotspot is actively sending or receiving data over the network.
• Internet (Blue) The Internet LED lights up when there is a connection made through the Internet port. A flashing LED indicates network activity over the Internet port.
• Power (Blue) The Power LED lights up and will stay on while the hotspot is powered on. When the Hotspot goes through its self-diagnostic mode during every boot-up, this LED will flash. When the diagnostic is complete, the LED will be solidly lit.
Determine your Internet Service Provider to set up the router for Internet connection.
Check if you now have access to the Internet.