The instructions below will guide you on how to download and connect your USB printer to your network using a Mac® computer through the Linksys USB Control Center software.
The Linksys USB Control Center software is available to any Linksys Smart WiFi routers.
Before connecting the USB printer, make sure your computer’s operating system (OS) is compatible with the Linksys USB Control Center. Refer to the list below:
|Linksys USB Control Center|
|High Sierra 10.13||✓|
|Sierra 10.12||✗ (Click here for a workaround)|
|El Capitan 10.11||✗ (Click here for a workaround)|
|Mountain Lion 10.8||✓|
|Snow Leopard 10.6.1 or later||✓|
|Leopard 10.5.8 or later||✓|
2. Click the Network Map or Device List tool on your Linksys cloud account navigation menu.
3. On the upper right side, click on the Add a Device button.
Alternatively, you can click on the button in the Network Map/Device List tool on your Linksys cloud account home page.
4. Under the Select the type of device to add to your network page, select USB Printer.
5. Connect your printer to the USB port of your router.
6. Under For Mac category, select the Click here link to download the free Linksys USB Control Center software.
When asked whether to Run the program or Save it to your computer, select Save it to your computer and either save it to the default location, or to a different location.
When the download is completed, a folder containing the Linksys USB Control Center installer will appear.
7. Double-click USB Control Center Installer to start the installation.
8. When you are prompted by the following warning message, click Open to proceed.
9. When the Welcome to the USB Control Center Installer window appears, click Continue.
10. Select the folder where you want the Linksys USB Control Center software to be installed by clicking on the Change Install Location button. Once done, click Install to proceed.
11. Provide your Mac computer’s credentials and then click Install Software.
12. Click on the Continue Installation button when the following prompt appears.
You will be receiving a notification message that the Linksys USB Control Center software is being installed on your computer.
13. When the The installation was completed successfully window appears, click Restart.
After restarting your Mac computer, click the Linksys USB Control Center icon to install the printer so that it can communicate with your router and other devices on your network.
Your printer has a default name assigned to it by the manufacturer, for example, Canon Pixma MP490. If you've renamed the printer to something like Kitchen Printer, that name will appear instead.
If you are unable to add a printer or your printer name doesn't appear in the list of available printers when you try to print, you need to install the printer driver (software) on your computer. To do this, insert the CD that came with your printer in each of the computers you want to access the printer from. After doing this step, you can add the printer again through the Linksys USB Control Center. Also, it is best to make sure first that your printer works when connected directly to your Mac computer.
Find out more:How to connect wireless devices to your network using the Linksys cloud account
Additional Support Questions?