The Linksys wireless adapters enable WiFi connectivity for Windows®-based laptops and desktop computers. Manual installation of the Linksys wireless adapter is done with the following restrictions:
- The setup CD is lost, misplaced or not available.
- The computer has no CD drive.
Make sure that your Linksys wireless adapter is compatible with your computer’s operating system.
Perform these two steps below to set up a Linksys wireless USB adapter:
Connect the adapter
Linksys has different types of adapters. If you have one of the following types, learn the steps on how to connect the adapter to the computer or laptop.
- For a USB adapter — Plug the USB adapter to any available USB port of your computer or laptop.
- For a PCI adapter — Open your computer’s case and locate an available PCI slot. Slide the adapter into the PCI slot.
- PCMCIA adapter — Locate and insert the adapter in an available PCMCIA slot on the side of your laptop.
After inserting your adapter to your computer, download the latest and correct driver for the adapter that you want to install.
Once downloaded, follow the steps below:
1. Right-click on the Windows icon then select Device Manager.
2. On the Device Manager page, click Network adapters then right-click on your Linksys adapter and select Update driver. The Linksys AE3000 is used in this example.
3. Select Browse my computer for drivers.
4. Click Browse and locate the driver that you have downloaded. Then, click OK and Next.
5. Wait until the installation of the Linksys adapter driver is completed.
Do not unplug your Linksys adapter and avoid turning OFF your computer at this time.
6. Once the update is successful, the Windows has successfully updated your drivers message will be displayed. Click the Close button to exit.
The adapter is now installed and may be used to connect to WiFi networks.
If the device was not successfully installed, you may do the following:
- Check if your computer meets the minimum system requirements and compatibility of the drivers you are downloading. To know more about your adapter’s minimum system requirements, check the documentation shipped with your device.
- During the installation of the drivers, disable any firewall software currently running on your computer as it may block some of the components being installed on your computer for your adapter to run.
- Make sure that you are downloading the correct driver.
After checking the items above, perform the installation steps again.
Find out more:
Resolving an inactive wireless network adapter