TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. What is SimpleTap™?
2. What is Near Field Communication (NFC)?
3. What are the requirements to connect a mobile device using the SimpleTap™ feature?
4. How do you connect an Android™ smartphone using SimpleTap™?
5. What is a QR code?
6. How do I download the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App using the QR code?
7. Which wireless network and frequency will the smartphone connect to when using SimpleTap™?
8. How do you connect to the wireless network using this feature if the SimpleTap™ card is lost?
9. Can a SimpleTap™ card be used to connect to another router other than the one it came with?
10. What is the wireless security mode used when connecting the SimpleTap™ connection feature?
11. What smartphones are currently supported by the SimpleTap™ feature?
SimpleTap™ is one of the new wireless connection features found in the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account that is bundled with the latest Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6300, EA6400, EA6500 and EA6700). It is based on NFC technology which allows for easier connection of NFC-compatible smartphones to the router’s wireless network. It is a replacement to how you manually associate a wireless device to the wireless network. Just tap the SimpleTap™ card to your smartphone to connect to the 2.4 GHz wireless network instead of using a wireless password.
NOTE: To enable or disable this feature on your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers, click here.
NFC is a set of standards for mobile devices such as smartphones to establish communication with compatible devices bis is done in seconds by touching them or just by bringing them barely a few centimeters, hence the term “near field”.
NFC offers a fast and simple setup that could be used to connect devices to a more capable wireless connection (e.g. active wireless network). It serves as a bridge to connect your NFC-compatible devices without using a password.
These are the requirements to connect a mobile device using SimpleTap™:
- An Android™ smartphone which is NFC-compatible
- A SimpleTap™ card bundled with the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6300, EA6400, EA6500 and EA6700)
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App installed on your Android™ smartphone
Click here for detailed instructions on how to connect an NFC-compatible Android™ smartphone to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (EA6300, EA6400, EA6500 and EA6700) using the SimpleTap™ card.
A QR code is a type of barcode which contains information such as website links, contact details, promotional codes or any text-based information.
You may download the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App on your smartphone by scanning the QR code on the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router, EA6500 packaging with a QR code scanner. For detailed instructions on how to do this, click here.
NOTE: Alternatively, you may download and install the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi App on your mobile device through the Google Play Store. For instructions, click here.
The smartphone will be connected to the 2.4 GHz wireless network only since the SimpleTap™ feature acts as a backdoor to connect to the 2.4 GHz band. The SimpleTap™ virtual access point is a hidden SSID that can be enabled or disabled on your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account. Since this is a hidden SSID, it will not be visible in the list of wireless networks available in the area.
NOTE: You will not be able to connect to this hidden wireless network without the SimpleTap™ card.
You can still connect your mobile device by selecting a Wi-Fi network and entering the wireless network password. You may refer to the following articles:
Connecting your Android™ smartphone to the Guest network
NOTE: If the SimpleTap™ card is lost, you may request for a replacement by calling Linksys customer support.
No. A SimpleTap™ card can only be used to connect exclusively to the router it came with.
The default wireless security mode for the SimpleTap™ connection feature is WPA2/AES.
The SimpleTap™ feature supports Android™ smartphones that are NFC- compatible. For a list of NFC-compatible Android™ smartphones, visit this link: http://www.nfcworld.com/nfc-phones-list.