Your Linksys X-series Gateway can either be set up as a modem router or as a router only using the setup CD that comes with the device. This article will guide you in installing the gateway as a router only using the setup software. The Linksys X3500 is used in the examples below.
1. Insert the setup CD into the CD/DVD drive of your computer.
2. Click Run.
3. Tick the checkbox after reading the License Terms, then click Next.
4. Select Router only then click Next.
5. Connect one end of the power cable to the router, then connect the other end to the power outlet. Attach one end of the ethernet cable to the Cable port at the back of the router and the other end to the modem. Power ON the device and then click Next.
Make sure your router is connected to your computer via an ethernet cable. To view a step-by-step guide, click the button. Follow the onscreen instructions.
6. Wait for the software to configure the gateway.
7. Change the Router name (SSID) and Password and then click Next.
Take note of these settings. You will need these when you connect additional WiFi devices to the network.
8. Click OK.
9. The main page will appear. Click Close.
Your Linksys X-series Gateway is now successfully set up. If installation fails on any step, reset the gateway by pressing and holding the Reset button for about 10 seconds then re-do the installation.