OpenVPN Server is a feature of the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers (WRT3200ACM, WRT1900AC, WRT1900ACS, and WRT1200AC) that enables the customers to give access to their home network using the OpenVPN client. It adds a simple server and easy client setup experience for a home router with Virtual Private Network (VPN) solution and an added security without a lot of technical settings.
Before using this feature, make sure of the following:
- Make sure to download and install the OpenVPN client software. To download the software in your Windows® or Mac® computer, Android™ or iOS® device, click here.
- Make sure that your router has the latest firmware which supports OpenVPN.
You must first log in locally using http://192.168.1.1 and click Local Access. Enter the router admin’s password.
Click OpenVPN Server on the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Tools navigation menu.
Set the OpenVPN Server to ON.
Under Configure OpenVPN Settings, click Edit.
Under Server Address, select either IP Address x.x.x.x or Existing DNS name.
- IP Address x.x.x.x - This is the WAN IP Address of the router and this would have already populated if your router is online. You can change the Port, Protocol, and IP Address Range subnet if needed.
- Existing DNS name - If you have a fully qualified DNS server name, enter that. Then, change the Port, Protocol, and IP Address Range subnet if needed.
Under Manage OpenVPN Users, click Edit and then, click + Add User.
Create profiles by entering the Username and Password for each user. These are the credentials needed for accessing your network through the OpenVPN application.
IMPORTANT: This is needed if you are going to give access to other people to your home network or network behind the router using the OpenVPN feature. If you as the admin need to use the OpenVPN feature as well, you must create a username and password for yourself. The Username and Password must be:
- 8-64 Characters
- Usernames and Passwords can be alphanumeric, underscore (_), dash (-), dot (.) or at symbol (@)
Under Configure OpenVPN Settings, click OVPN Profile to download the profile.