- What is the Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream™ AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router?
- What are the parts of the Linksys EA9500?
- What are the product features of my Linksys EA9500?
- What is the difference between Linksys EA9500 v1 and EA9500 v2?
- What is Smart Connect?
- What is the warranty period of the Linksys EA9500?
- What USB standards does the Linksys EA9500 support?
- What is the Network Map feature on my Linksys EA9500 and how can I use it?
- How do I position the antennas of my Linksys EA9500 to optimize its maximum signal strength?
- What are the minimum system requirements when using my Linksys EA9500?
- How do I set up the Linksys EA9500?
- Will I be able to run the setup on a hardwired computer even though my wireless adapter is disabled?
- What are the default IP address, username, and password of the Linksys EA9500?
- What is a router password hint?
- What is the maximum PHY Data Rate for each wireless band?
- Is band steering supported on the 2.4 GHz?
- Can I turn OFF Smart Connect?
- Does the Guest network support band steering?
- How can I tell which radio band the 5 GHz clients are connected?
- How many radios does the Linksys EA9500 support?
- Can I disable web interface access to the router for wireless clients?
- Why can't I change the Network Mode, Channel, and Channel width when Smart Connect is ON?
- Why is WEP security grayed out for the 5 GHz band section in the Wireless Tool?
- Can I select 802.11n Only for the 2.4 GHz band?
- Can I select 802.11n Only for the 5 GHz band?
- Where can I locate the wireless MAC address of the router?
- How many Guest networks can I set up on my Linksys EA9500?
- What is the default password of my Guest network?
- What is the IP address range of the Guest network for the 5 GHz1 radio band?
- How do I configure Parental Controls?
- What is Media Prioritization and how do I configure it on my Linksys cloud account?
- How do I perform a speed test on my network using the Linksys cloud account?
- What is a media server and how does it work?
- What is the supported USB hard drive format?
- Does the Linksys EA9500 support Repeater or Wireless Bridge Mode?
- Does the Linksys EA9500 support Seamless Roaming?
- What is Seamless Roaming?
- How can I set up my network with Seamless Roaming?
- What other Linksys products support Seamless Roaming?
- How do I enable Seamless Roaming?
- Are there any guidelines when using Seamless Roaming?
- Will the Seamless Roaming feature of the Linksys Max-Stream router work with other third party routers or range extenders?
- Where can I find more information about Seamless Roaming?
- What is Airtime Fairness?
- Does the Linksys EA9500 support Airtime Fairness?
- How do I enable Airtime Fairness?
- How can I reset the Linksys EA9500 to factory defaults?
- If I turned the Smart Connect OFF and configure the 5 GHz1 and 5 GHz2 with two different SSIDs then enable the Smart Connect back ON, what will be the SSID?
- How can I upgrade my Linksys EA9500?
- My Parental Controls blocks HTTPS but returns a blank page instead of redirecting to the Parental Controls screen. Is this a normal behavior?
- Can I update my Linksys EA9500 v1 router with the firmware of the Linksys EA9500 v2 or vice versa?
- Does this support IPv6 RD for its internet connection?
1. What is the Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream™ AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router?
The Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream™ AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router is one of the latest routers with Tri-band technology. It can make your home/office network faster and more productive with eight Gigabit ethernet ports and MU-MIMO technology, which delivers blazing connection speed and stability to every device on your Wi-Fi. For more information about the product features and specification of the Linksys EA9500 v1, click here. For Linksys EA9500 v2, click here. The Linksys EA9500 has the following parts:
- Ports - one power, two USB, one internet, eight ethernet, eight external non-detachable antennas
- Front panel: 8x blue light pairs, 8x white bar-shaped light status indicators and illuminated Linksys logo
- Back panel: internet, ethernet (1-8) and USB (2)
- Side panel: wireless
- Buttons - reset, Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS), wireless and power
- Smart Wi-Fi
- 802.11ac Wireless technology
- Concurrent Tri-band
- High performance processor
- PHY data rates up to 5.33 Gbps total
- 4x4 Spatial streams
- MU-MIMO ready
- Beamforming technology
- Eight non-removable adjustable antennas
- 8 x LAN Gigabit / 1 x WAN Gigabit ports
- External disable / enable Wi-Fi button
- 2 x USB ports
The Linksys EA9500 v1 is the same as the Linksys EA9500 v2 with the following improvements:
|Linksys EA9500 v1||Linksys EA9500 v2|
|One USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port||
Two USB 3.0 ports
NOTE: Smart Connect is NOT supported on Guest network. To know more about Tri-band technology, click here. The warranty period is dependent on the country of purchase. For more information about your device’s warranty, click here. The Linksys EA9500 v1 has one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port while the Linksys EA9500 v2 has two USB 3.0 ports. These are backward-compatible with older versions. The Linksys EA9500’s Network Map feature allows you to manage and monitor your devices’ connection to the network. To know more about this and how you can use it, click here. All eight non-detachable external antennas are adjustable to different positions depending on your preference. However, to optimize your antennas’ maximum signal strength, follow the recommended positions. Click here to learn more about this. Browser requirements
- Latest version of Internet Explorer®, Google Chrome™, Mozilla Firefox®, Safari® (for Mac® or iPad®), Microsoft Edge
- Latest Adobe Flash® Player
- Windows® XP SP3, Windows Vista® SP1, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Mac OS X® Leopard 10.5.8 or later, Snow Leopard 10.6.1 or later, Lion 10.7, Mountain Lion 10.8, Mavericks 10.9, Yosemite 10.10
- Latest iOS or Android™ mobile device
SETUP & INSTALLATION Setting up the Linksys EA9500 is made fast and easy because of its CD-less setup. Now you can run the setup from a web browser even if the router does not initially have an internet connection and is on factory settings. To learn how to set up the Linksys EA9500, click here.
NOTE: There is also an option to manually set up the Linksys EA9500 and log in straightinto the web-based setup page. On your setup home page, tick the I want to skip Setup and configure my router manually option and click Next.
2. Will I be able to run the setup on a hardwired computer even though my wireless adapter is disabled?Yes. Just connect the router to the computer using an ethernet cable, open a browser and start the setup process. The default IP address for this router is 192.168.1.1 and admin is the default router password. The Linksys EA9500 allows you to set up a router password hint. This is very useful should you forget your password during login. The password hint is visible when you locally log in to the router. You can also change it on your Linksys cloud account, click here for instructions.
WIRELESS CONNECTION & SECURITY
- Band 1 (2.4 GHz) - Optimal speeds up to 1000 Mbps
- Band 2 (5 GHz1) - Fastest speeds up to 2166 Mbps
- Band 3 (5 GHz2) - Blazing speeds up to 2166 Mbps
10. Can I select 802.11n Only for the 2.4 GHz band?
Yes, you must set the Security Mode to WPA2™ Personal first. Yes, you must set the Security Mode to WPA2 Personal first. Go to the Troubleshooting Tool > Report, all three Wireless MAC addresses will be displayed under the Wireless section. The Linksys EA9500 allows you to have two Guest networks, one for the 2.4 GHz and one for the 5 GHz1 only. With these, your visitors at home can access the internet but not the local network (i.e., shared storage devices, printer access).
NOTE: The router supports up to a total of 50 guests.
The default Guest password of your router is BeMyGuest.The IP address range of the Guest network is 192.168.3.xxx.
ADVANCED CONFIGURATION The Parental Controls Tool in your Linksys cloud account allows you to restrict internet sites or specific devices for users within your network. For instructions on how to do so, click here.
Media Prioritization allows you to provide priority or more bandwidth allocation to devices or streaming applications for best utilization of your home network. Click here to learn how you can configure this feature on your Linksys cloud account.
Click here to learn how to perform a speed test on your network using your Linksys cloud account.It allows DLNA-certified devices including digital media players, gaming consoles, and digital picture frames to access video, music, and pictures that are stored in a USB hard drive that is connected to the Linksys EA9500. To learn how to configure the Media Server feature on your Linksys cloud account, click here. Linksys EA9500 supports FAT, FAT32, NTFS and HFS+ journaled and non-journaled file systems. No. The Linksys EA9500 only supports DHCP, PPPoE, Static IP, PPTP, L2TP, and Bridge Mode.
7. Does the Linksys EA9500 support Seamless Roaming?
Yes. All Linksys Max-Stream routers support Seamless Roaming.
8. What is Seamless Roaming?
Seamless Roaming allows your supported device such as an iPad or iPhone to roam between a supported Linksys Max-Stream router or range extender products (make sure that the latest firmware is installed with Seamless Roaming support).
Moving between a traditional router and range extender, your home Wi-Fi signal can experience lag or a dropped connection. With its intuitive technology, Seamless Roaming allows you to move from one room to another and automatically switches your device to connect to the strongest Wi-Fi signal.
9. How can I set up my network with Seamless Roaming?
You can set up your Linksys Max-Stream router with a Linksys RE7000. To learn how click on the links below:
Configuring two Linksys RE7000s with a Linksys Max-Stream router for Seamless Roaming
10. What other Linksys products support Seamless Roaming?
Seamless Roaming is a feature on all Linksys Max-Stream routers and Linksys Max-Stream range extenders.
11. How do I enable Seamless Roaming?
There is no need to enable this feature as it is already part of the firmware.
12. Are there any guidelines when using Seamless Roaming?
Yes. In order for Seamless Roaming to work properly on your Linksys Max-Stream routers, the following must apply:
- You must use it with a Linksys RE7000 or any Linksys Max-Stream range extender.
- Wireless settings must be the same such as the SSID and security settings.
- Both router and extender must be on the same subnet.
- Seamless Roaming is designed for devices that support the 802.11k standard including but not limited to iPhone (4s and later), iPad Pro™, iPad Air® and later, iPad mini™ and later, iPad (3rd generation and later), iPod touch (5th generation and later), Samsung® S4 (Android 4.2.2 /4.4.2), Samsung S5 (Android 4.4.2), and Samsung S6 (Android 5.0.2). For more information on supported Windows and other devices, please check with your device manufacturer. Seamless Roaming may require the latest Max-Stream firmware. Please check the Support Page of your Linksys Max-Stream router for more details.
No. Seamless Roaming will only work with the Linksys Max-Stream products.
14. Where can I find more information about Seamless Roaming?
For more information on the Seamless Roaming feature for the Linksys Max-Stream products click here.
15. What is Airtime Fairness?
The slowest device in your network will not determine the Wi-Fi speed anymore. With Airtime Fairness, faster devices transmit at faster speed. Airtime Fairness gives equal amounts of air time (instead of equal number of frames) to each client regardless of its theoretical data rate.
16. Does the Linksys EA9500 support Airtime Fairness?
Yes, the Linksys EA9500 supports Airtime Fairness.
17. How do I enable Airtime Fairness?
Log in to your router and go to Wireless > Advanced and turn ON the Airtime Fairness option.
TROUBLESHOOTING There are two ways to reset the Linksys EA9500 to factory defaults:
- Hardware Reset – Press and hold the Reset button at the back panel of the Linksys EA9500 for about 10 seconds then release.
- Software Reset – Log in to your Linksys cloud account. Under Router Settings, click Troubleshooting > Diagnostics. Click Reset under Factory reset.
2. If I turned the Smart Connect OFF and configure the 5 GHz1 and 5 GHz2 with two different SSIDs then enable the Smart Connect back ON, what will be the SSID?
The Tri-band router will retain whatever SSID you set on the 5 GHz1 radio band.Upgrading the firmware of your router allows you to fully enjoy its complete features. The Linksys EA9500 has an Auto Firmware Update feature which automatically updates the router whenever there is a new firmware available or you can also do it manually. Click on the links below for step-by-step instructions:
How to manually upgrade a Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router's firmware
4. My Parental Controls blocks HTTPS but returns a blank page instead of redirecting to the Parental Controls screen. Is this a normal behavior?
Yes, for HTTPS this is by design. Some HTTP sites that redirect to HTTPS will produce a blank screen as well.
5. Can I update my Linksys EA9500 v1 router with the firmware of the Linksys EA9500 v2 or vice versa?
No. You must only use the appropriate firmware version for your hardware.
6. Does this support IPv6 RD for its internet connection?
Yes. It supports IPv6 RD and 6to4 tunneling.