- SE1500 Frequently Asked Questions
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. What is a switch?
2. What devices can I connect to the SE1500 Fast Ethernet Switch?
3. How do I install the SE1500 Fast Ethernet Switch?
4. How many ports does the SE1500 Fast Ethernet Switch have?
5. What type of cables do I need to connect devices to the SE1500 switch?
6. What is the warranty period for the SE1500?
7. Can I connect another switch to the SE1500?
8. Can I use the SE1500 switch to share Internet connection between my computers?
9. Is it normal for the SE1500 Fast Ethernet Switch to still be working even if the LEDs are off?
10. Will I be able to use the SE1500 switch if I do not have a router?
11. What is the difference between a hub and a switch?
12. What is the difference between a router and a switch?
A switch is a network device that connects computers together in a local network. The Linksys SE1500 Fast Ethernet Switch is an easy, affordable way to build a fast, reliable Ethernet network. Connect the switch to a router to be able to share your Internet connection between the computers in the network.
You can connect up to five (5) Ethernet-based devices such as computers, gaming devices and printers. You can even cascade another switch to expand your network further.
The switch is a plug-and-play device, there is no installation needed. All you need to do is connect your devices to the switch and power it ON.
The Linksys SE1500 Fast Ethernet Switch has five (5) auto-sensing 10/100 ports.
You may use CAT5, CAT5E, CAT6 Ethernet cables.
The warranty period is dependent on the country of purchase. For more information about your device's warranty, click here.
Yes. Two (2) switches can be connected together in a network. For instructions on connecting another switch to the SE1500, click here.
No, the SE1500 switch by itself doesn’t have routing capabilities. You need a router to be able to share Internet connection between your computers.
Yes. The LED button of the switch can enable and disable the LEDs of the SE1500 switch. The Port LED indicators can be found at the front of the switch while the LED button is found at the back of the switch.
Yes. With the proper configuration on your computer, you can use the SE1500 switch to share files and printers locally. For information on setting up file and printer sharing, click here. However, you cannot share Internet connection between your computers if you don’t have a router.
A hub is a simple device that broadcasts all information to every device connected to the network. A switch is capable of filtering by registering the MAC addresses of the devices.
A router is a device that connects multiple networks together, such as a local network and the Internet. A switch is a device which enables you to connect computers and other devices to the network through the use of an Ethernet cable. The switch is not capable of sharing Internet connection across the network. However, what it does is that it allows more wired devices to be connected to the local network.
Was this support article useful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Please tell us how we can make this article useful.
Additional Support Questions?
LINKSYS LIVE CHAT
Help With Linksys.com
I have a question about a Linksys product or a Linksys Store promotion.
Get help with an issue or learn how to maximise the potential of my Linksys product.